Totally customizable. Add more or less onions, garlic and spices as you wish. Replace the chicken with sausage links if you wish. Replace the lentils with whole wheat couscous if you wish.
Time: 8 hours in the slow cooker (or 4 hours at the higher setting)
Servings: 4 – 6
- Large yellow onion, diced
- 4 – 6 large cloves of garlic (or more), minced
- 2 chipotle chili peppers (canned in adobo sauce), minced
- 4 teaspoonfuls of adobo sauce from aforementioned can
- Cumin, 3t
- Coriander, 3t
- Tomato paste, 1 small can (the $1 variety)
- Brown sugar, 3t (or honey, 3t; or agave nectar, 3t)
- Lentils – red, yellow or green – about 2 cups
- 2 cups of water
- 4 – 6 chicken thighs
- Optional: 2 cups of hardy veggies cut into large bite-size chunks, such as cauliflower florets (fresh or frozen), carrots, or sweet potato.
- Combine everything but the chicken and optional veggies in the slow cooker. Stir to make approximately homogenous.
- Smell. (Or taste a tiny bit.) If you want to make the flavor more pronounced, add more onion, garlic and spices.
- Nestle chicken and veggies into slow cooker. Cover and cook for 8 hours on low setting (or 4 hours on high setting).
- When it’s done, if there is too much liquid, remove the chicken to a separate container, turn the heat
You can mince cilantro and stir it into the chicken before serving, or squeeze a little lemon juice over it after it’s on the plate. Serve with whole wheat couscous or a chunk of bread on the side.
Will keep in the fridge for 4 – 5 days.